Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo

The San Carlos Borroméo del Rio Carmelo Mission was founded at its present site in 1771 by Father Junipero Serra and was once the headquarters for the entire California mission system. For over 227 years, this mission has drawn many visitors and artists; and may be the most frequently described structure in California, whether it be with art or words. Many artists have drawn, photographed, painted, and carved it’s image. It’s location was selected by Father Serra in a magnificent area on the central California coast.

This photograph was one of twenty pictures that won a regional art contest at ArtistRising.com . It depicts the front side of the church at the mission.

Church Door at Mission San Carlos